Diversity and Cultural Competency Workgroup
Workgroup Objective: Identify cultural barriers to research participation and develop culturally-appropriate activities to overcome those barriers.
Workgroup Mandate: Support Diversity in Clinical Research
Workgroup Chair: Temitope Keyes, Clinical Trial Technology Lead, Cmed Clinical Services
Workgroup Sponsor: The STARR Coalition
Purpose: To create and provide educational and support tools for clinical research sites across the nation with the purpose of better engaging diverse communities in the areas they serve.
Description: Leaders across the research industry and advocacy will work to research, design and develop the following:
- Tools to assist research sites to better work within diverse communities;
- Best practices guidance document;
- Cultural Tenets: exploration of broad range of tenets, including but not limited to, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic, geographical, religious preferences;
- Research how diversity influences effective clinical research.
Objective: Educate diverse communities on clinical research to build trust with our communities on the safety and efficacy around clinical research.
Specifications: Leaders from across the research industry and advocacy will met once a month to discuss project needs, ideas and scope of work. An online platform will be used to share information, communicate between monthly meetings and serve as a central hub to formulate deliverables. Workgroup participants are encouraged to share information with peers and organizations to solicit feedback and suggestions for the workgroup.
Other Possible Deliverables:
- Develop guidelines and/or SOP’s on cultural barriers and practical ways to overcome those barriers and engage each group in a culturally-thoughtful way.
- Multimedia presentation on “What is Cultural Competency?”
- Define timetables and measurable objectives for research site training.
- Sensitivity of subject matter
- Ensuring all voices are heard and respected
Milestones and Timelines: TBA